Saturday, 30 July 2016

Yorkshire Wildlife Park


Hubby and Bailey went off to London Film and Comic Con with our stall and so for the first time in over two years I was home alone...well not quite alone I still had the girls and Ruben and Loki and the cats...so not quite alone alone...Still it was very strange without my two big boys!! I tried to keep us as busy as possible to distract us from being sad without them. 

We had a very quiet afternoon when hubby and Bailey set off on Thursday lunchtime and then on Friday Ruben and I were up at 6.30 to walk Loki. Usually hubby walks Loki early, sometimes I go too but never Ruben. It was nice to have his company even if it was mainly because of Pokemon Go!!

Back home after our walk and the dishwasher was blocked, I couldn't unblock it so we had to go old school and take turns in washing the pots! We were supposed to meet up with friends at the park for a picnic and then go swimming but first the heavy rain started and then there was news of a gunman on the loose in the are we needed to drive through to get to the park/swimming baths. Obviously was not meant to be so my friend and I rearranged for next week.

After a morning of sorting a mammoth pile of washing and trying to get rid of a rather stubborn headache I took Cordelia and Ruben to the cinema to watch Finding Dory. It was actually much better than I thought it was going to be, it was Cordelia's favourite film when she was 2-3 years old and she wanted to watch it all the time. We watched it an awful lot in between Barbie films (Piper), Transformers (Bailey) and well Ruben was just happy to watch anything! We all enjoyed it.

Saturday was another early morning dog walk for Ruben and I, then we left at 9.30 (am!!) to got to Yorkshire Wildlife Park. We haven't been since our trip back in 2011, everyone looks so small in those blog photos! They both wanted to visit a zoo and this one is only in Doncaster-half an hour away-and has so many new animals since we last visited so a great opportunity to get out of the house. Piper didn't want to come, she's not a fan of zoo's, so she stayed home and did a lot of sewing.

It was really busy but its such a big place that it can cope with big crowds. This was us next to the Emu enclosure-we all agreed that they re very strange animals with their bendy necks!


The giraffe enclosure:



All the photo's below are Cordelia's, she's much better with a camera than I am!





Cordelia and Ruben loved the Polar Bears, the enclosure they have is huge. We watched them for ages; play fighting, splashing in the water, yawning!




Our favourite though was the Armadillo, he was so funny. He had a big enclosure which he shared with the marmoset's-they were mainly hidden in the green, leafy trees above whilst the armadillo ran around (they are so fast!) in a big circle. He had even made a lane in the dirt with all his running around, he kept running off to itch his back on tree logs and dig holes in the dirt. I think we could have watched him for hours actually but there was so many animals to see!






The tigers and lions were all asleep so we didn't watch them for long


We did have another trip back to see our armadillo friend though....


We went along at lunchtime to watch the Bug Show live, but a few minutes in and I realised it really isn't meant for sarky teenagers, in fact I'm not sure who it's meant for because it was the cringest thing I've ever had to watch. The two presenters were so cheesy I actually couldn't look at them, Cordelia and Ruben struggled not to fall on the floor they were laughing so hard. I can see what they were trying to do-be a bit like the Longleat shows I think-but gosh it was awful. Very patronising, even for younger children. We left after we all felt we could breathe again but I had tears running down my face...



We got back home via the supermarket only to find our youngest cat Coco wasn't very well so had to rush him to the vets for antibiotics and painkillers. I think it was lucky that we did as he had a UTI and it can be fatal in male cats. Not the best end to what was a fun day but he's much better now thankfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment