Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Gingerbread

I have a real soft spot for gingerbread men, I have lots of random items around my house with gingerbread on them, they never fail to make me smile even when I'm not in a smiley mood! I recently acquired a teapot with gingerbread men on and it has a candy cane handle, I love it! After watching the GBBO this week we decided to make some of our own gingerbread. So the girls got our favourite gingerbread recipe out and set to work.....

After weighing all the ingredients out, we made a dough, it needed to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes and was then ready to roll.....
As we found out that gingerbread was given as a symbol of love in Germany we thought it only right to make heart shaped gingerbread. This is Cordelia's pattern:

Making the royal icing to decorate the gingerbread. We used egg whites and icing sugar to make the royal icing



Thankfully I have an icing bag and an icing syringe so there were no arguments and both girls got to decorate their biscuits at the same time


TA-DA! All done, Cordelia made special biscuits for our little friends R and E coming to visit.
Piper's biscuits-she even made an injured gingerbread and is now planning her halloween designs!




8 comments:

  1. how cute are they? I never seem to have much luck with my gingerbread. always turns out to crumbly.... Grrr. They did a fantastic job on theirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be tricky Pip, I think its a case of finding a recipe that works for you!

      Delete
  2. they look really gorgeous :) . TGBB inspired my youngest and I to make quiche and tart on friday - always good to be inspired! I do know that they would have not been impressed at lack of crispness in quiche and tart bottom tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm sounds yum Helen! My girls are loving checking all my cooking for "soggy bottoms" at the moment lol, thanks Paul Hollywood for that!

      Delete
  3. Not a fan of gingerbread here but those really do look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I suppose its an acquired taste, it used to remind me of morning sickness even after 15 years but I seem to have gotten over it now and just love the cuteness of gingerbread men!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to read your blog and imagine you as a real family, not just the PMC lady! Yay for the blogring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay indeed Alison! Thanks for popping by to see what I do when I'm not running the PMC :)

      Delete