Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Camber Sands & Wakehurst Place Visit 2!


First day back at work for hubby after a two week break, felt a bit teary dropping him off at the office, be great if he could be HE with us all the time. The children decided they wanted to go to Camber Sands for the day, it was much cooler than the weekend and extremely blustery but we still spent four hours sat on top of the sand dunes, well I sat and the children all played a huge game of Minecraft. Thankfully there were lots of things around for them to "mine". They only came back to me for food or drinks. It takes a lot of getting used to having older children, when they were little I'd spend all my time on the beach building sandcastles with them, collecting shells, paddling, drying feet now they prefer to do their own thing. I have mixed emotions about it, in a way its nice to be able to just sit and think and in another way its a little sad that I'm not so "required" any more. I know that its different kinds of requirement that is needed from me now but its a lot of adjustment! Only took this one photo on the beach sadly, which is a shame as they were rolling down sand dunes and all sorts, but I didn't want to interrupt their fun so I just let them be.
Tuesday morning was dry again, we were so lucky with the weather this camping trip, so we headed to Wakehurst Place again. We visited in July and had a really lovely walk but didn't get to see all of it so we tried to visit the spots we'd missed last time and as we are NT members and the schools are back our visit didn't cost anything! I was a bit annoyed at the entrance when the lady on the desk asked if I'd booked in advance, she took all my details for some reason-no idea what she was going to do with them. Never had this from a visit with my HE membership but she said I'm supposed too. Now I understand if I was bringing a school group in but there were only 5 of us!! Silly rule I think that should only apply to school education groups and not home educating families!

 Not sure if that's a headlock or a hug but still......
 After a few days of camping Bailey starts to really enjoy it, it can be hard with teenagers, especially with Asperger's because they really love their routines and it can be hard adjusting to doing something different and being away from his beloved Xbox. Its lovely to see how well the children can get along when there isn't the distractions of TV, computers, cats, dogs etc, Cordelia and Bailey talked for ages about Pokemon. Piper had a quiet start and wondered by herself ahead of us, she is very much like me in that she thinks such a lot. The girls are so different, I can read Cordelia like a book, her emotions are always very clear on her face and I can tell instantly when she is unhappy about something or when she is very happy about something but Piper can be very hard to read. Maybe some of it is because of her age of 11 and 3/4 she is very close to becoming a teenager, I know we will be approaching an age where it can be difficult to have a good relationship with your mum. I know I struggled with my mum as a teenager but I'm hoping things will be different for Piper and I. I think not being at school will have a big impact on our relationship, and obviously the fact that Piper's childhood has been very different to mine. Its a worry but I think if I'm aware of it then I can make sure or at least try my best and make sure we are still close and that she can talk to me. Its hard to not worry when she is so quite but I gave her some space and she came around in her time. I asked if she was OK and she said she was just thinking.


 The rest of the afternoon went much easier, we spotted lots of signs of the approaching Autumn weather like this tree that was starting to turn and was a beautiful colour.
 We sat in the sun and watched two pheasants having a fight for a good 20 minutes! Then they kept following us about until they got bored and wondered off (the pheasants not the children!)
 Ruben found himself a fab chair to sit in....
 We had a walk around the vegetable garden and found these very cute pumpkins, the sign insisted that these were courgette plants but I'm pretty sure they are pumpkins!!
 A very slow wander back up to the car and a look in the gift shop. We bought 3 cacti plants to take home as the children really loved the cacti area in the seed bank, this way we have our own little bit of Kew Gardens at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment