Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Sad days, RIP Doris

We've had a really sad day today, even the grey weather reflected our moods. Last night Ruben's hamster Doris passed away, thankfully he was asleep but I had to wait until this morning to tell him. I had so many dreams about telling him and him being upset but I still found it so upsetting to tell him. I had prepared him for  it as much as I could as I knew she was nearing the end. I'm really not good with death, thankfully, I haven't had much of it to deal with so far in my life and neither have the children. Another plus point of being younger parents, I suppose. He has dealt with it so well today, I'm really proud of him. Even when Cordelia woke up to Piper telling her the news, thinking she was being helpful she was hoping Cordelia wouldn't come downstairs and set Ruben off. Cordelia was also really upset. Lots of cuddles on the sofa before breakfast, which is never a bad thing. Its very hard to see your children upset and not be able to make it all better for them, its what mama's are meant to do. There have been a few moments today when I wanted to cry but I've managed to distract both of us with other things. Bed time was tricky as Doris was in his room and we had to put a dinosaur display up so there wasn't a big space where she should be. I took Ruben out for some one on one time, I think he really needed it and the girls were being a little impatient with him this morning so it was a good idea. He picked a birthday present for his best friend R and made him a lovely card. We are meeting up with them at the park tomorrow so hopefully that will cheer him up.



Rest in Peace, little Doris
xxxx

8 comments:

  1. Sending lots of hugs your way for everyone, so sad when pets go :( Rube's never really had that experience but Mason's found it so hard. It's awful not be able to take the pain away but it does help when the time comes for losing people, as morbid as that sounds. The loss of pet rats helped my two put the loss of Granny & Grampy in place in their heads.

    We're all looking forward to tomorrow - better not rain!! R&M are determined to cheer your lot up haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella, I agree it will help them deal with it in future. Thanks for today as usual you really cheered us all up! We're lucky to have such good friends! x

      Delete
  2. So sorry ro hear about Doris :( We still talk of Chiara's hamster Hubert. I think it comforted Chiara to bury him under a tree, just helped with saying the goodbyes. ((hugs)) to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, that is a good idea re the tree xx

      Delete
  3. Lots of sympathies to you all. It's really hard to loose a pet, no matter how big or small. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, its much harder than I thought it would be x

      Delete
  4. We've had lots of hammys and gerbils over the years and they are not here for long. Sending you a hug x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I don't think we'll be geeting another hamster, not sure I can cope with their short life cycles! x

      Delete