Thursday, 12 April 2012

Swallows & Amazons Come to Life

Yesterday we went into Sheffield to go and see Swallows and Amazons at the Lyceum Theatre. As Bailey wasn't really that interested he went off to the cinema with a friend to watch Battleships. It's very bizarre to have a child old enough to just take himself to the cinema. I worry constantly that he'll get lost or not be able to sort his tickets out, which is totally stupid as he is a very capable boy and extremely sensible. It's very hard making the transformation from parenting a child to parenting a teenager-it requires whole new skills and nerves. You think having a baby, then a toddler is hard work and yes it can be! But having a teenager is a whole new ball game of boundaries!! I thought I'd be totally chilled at letting him go off and be more independent, and whilst I'm happy he's getting out and having a social life, I'm a totally wreck as to whether or not he's safe! Thankfully this is made easier by mobile phones and a responsible and sensible son who knows what a worry wart his mum is. Hence lots of rib taking and the occasional hashtag joke coming my way from teenage son! Anyway... Swallows & Amazons was fab-: I thought it might be weird having adults play the parts of children but it actually worked really well. The character of Roger was, in particular, very fun to watch and made us all giggle! The songs were fun to sing and we all came out humming along to the Amazon Pirates song. The Amazon sisters were very feisty and entertaining too. I couldn't help noticing how all four of my children share similar characteristics to the Walker children too! I can imagine Bailey being responsible and taking care of the others like John whilst Piper makes sure everyone is well fed, in bed and warm enough just like Susan. Tilly has quite the imagination and is resourceful and adventurous just like Cordelia and Ruben is cheeky, fun always trying to be more grown up like his siblings! Here are a few photos, we couldn't take any photos inside the Lyceum unfortunately-such a shame as its a really beautiful building!

6 comments:

  1. S would have liked that, she likes the book & the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their on tour at the moment Katie so maybe they'll be visiting a theatre near you soon?

      Delete
  2. so glad you all enjoyed it, we went last night and thought it was fab! My two were really gripped and I thought it was really well done. Roger was hilarious for a very large and hairy child haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you guys enjoyed it too :-) I thought Roger was rather brilliant & I've been threatening Ruben with a "fat vicky" all day! Have to admit I thought the first half wasn't as good as the second half though! X

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this film will look into it. I don't have a teenager yet but I can imagine it bring about a whole new level of difficulties. Glad your son is a very sensible boy as that make a big difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film either but will have to look out for it. Thank you, I'm very blessed to have such a lovely, sensible teenage boy :)

      Delete