Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Road to Recovery, Riot Police & Chicken-napping!

As the title suggests yesterday was QUITE a day. It started perfectly well with this beautiful weather we are all having here in sunny Derbyshire. I set off to pick Bailey's friend M up to come over for the day, we usually do this fortnightly but things have been busy so they haven't seen each other for a while. We met at the farm, which is about halfway between both our houses and I stopped the car to say Hi only to find it wouldn't start again two minutes later! Its the first time I have ever had to ring breakdown and they said someone should be with us within an hour. So I took the children around the farm, thank goodness for inner city farms and sunny days! There was a cafe and a playground so the children had a great time! Whilst we were waiting for breakdown, a chicken jumped out of its pen and the children saw it being stolen by an old lady! The children told a staff member and a chase of sorts went on to try and find said lady. At the same time our recovery van turned up and the car started without any problem! I felt rather stupid, I had tried it again whilst I was waiting but got nothing. Typical. So I apologised to my friend, who had very kindly waited at the farm with us, Bailey was disappointed not to have M over but I didn't want to risk getting her all the way home and then not get her back in time for her dentist appointment. I set off up a rather large hill, Sheffield is full of them! Only to find myself approaching a busy crossroads and having the car die rather dramatically. Arrrggghhhh!! I rang the recovery again and they said they would be with me again shortly, meanwhile a police riot van came passed me, turned round and then pulled up behind me, 3 policemen got out to help me push the car a bit more out of the way. Note to self-power steering is a must, so never buy a car without it! The steering wouldn't work because the car was dead. The police were very helpful. People kept stopping to stare though and it was very embarrassing. I have never been pulled over by police or towed home by recovery-so two firsts for me yesterday! The children thought it was FABULOUS though and announced it was officially the best day ever when we got inside the recovery truck.


When the recovery driver said "well everyday is a school day" I'm pretty sure I did an inward groan as I began to explain that the children were home educated. Needless to say by the end of the 20 minute drive home he knew all about the merits of home education! And told me what lovely children I had, I don't need telling but its always nice to hear a stranger tell you! We are still left wondering what happened to the chicken though especially as Cordelia said the same woman came in and took another one whilst the staff were looking for her and we were with the recovery van......

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an adventure! I bet you're glad it's over now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lisa, very relieved. But at least the children enjoyed themselves x

      Delete
  2. stealing chickens? That is seriously random!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Katie, very random. They were rare breeds though so maybe very valuable? I'm not sure, I'm don't know much about chickens!(about as much as I know about cars!)

      Delete