Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Going down the IGCSE route...

I've read quite a bit about exams, GCSE's and IGCSE's recently, so thought I would share a little about our experience so far. Bailey, who I know barely seems to exist on the blog these days, has had a break from revising and had a go at writing a short story for the competition. He has made such good progress with his IGCSE work and doesn't seem to have struggled too much thankfully. We have had a look at the marking scheme on the Cambridgeshire website as he wanted to know what percentage he would need to pass. His exam confirmation came through last week, we are very lucky to be near an exam centre and so Bailey won't have to go into a school to sit his exam. Although at £95 for this exam, its hardly a cheaper option. From what I've heard about the exam centre its more like someone's home than an exam centre, which is good as this will be Bailey's first exam. I know there are lots of home educating parents out there who struggle with the whole exams situation and its surprised me how easily this has fallen into place but I suppose time will tell how easy/hard it will be. The main thing is that Bailey has not found the process so far, too much. He has managed his workload very well and it seems this approach has been good for him. My mind is already beginning to think about further IGCSE's but for now at least we'll see how this one goes. We haven't made any special allowances for his Asperger's because so far we haven't needed too, I hope that the experience will be a positive one for him but if that is not the case then maybe its not something that we will repeat. I am a little worried how he will deal with the situation when he is there. At one time he used to be very uncomfortable with strangers, and he hasn't got the longest of attention spans. He is very positive about it and seems to have digested the majority of the coursework. Hubby has been the one in charge of marking his work and has given a lot of his spare time in the evenings and weekends up to do so. It has been a lot more time consuming than I think both of us realised. I am helping Bailey with some revision techniques, as his learning style is more Kinesthetic I'm looking at different ways we can incorporate this. I'm lucky that a close friend is going through the same process so have been able to share/panic/question with her thank goodness. Fingers crossed.... 

8 comments:

  1. Hi, your local exam centre is meant to be excellent for home educators! Are you doing mocks at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we can for this exam, I know they do it for other IGCSE's though!

      Delete
  2. Local schools may offer to help too - with our daughter Kitty, we have booked 3 exams for May/June 2012 for £100 in total including the admin fees - this school is based in Swadlingcote Derbyshire. I hope it all works out well for Bailey - it sounds like you have got a good option for him with the exam centre resembling someone's house - though the cost seems high...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only a bit further away really but not sure if B would cope in a school very well. Much cheaper though! Which exams is Kitty taking?

      Delete
  3. i will follow this with interest. although Brendan is only 9 it is something that worries me. he absorbs everything but its getting it on the paper that might be the problem. i really don't know whats the best thing to do :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip, don't worry too much yet I would have said the exact same thing when Bailey was 9. He has changed very much in the last few months and the IGCSE was all his idea. I'm not sure if I would have pursued it but time will tell i suppose....

      Delete
  4. i was fine about it all and had decided exams where not important.... but had loads of questioning about my plans of late and having a wobble. this gives me hope. thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I was like that too Pip! Its always the doubts of others that plant seeds in my own mind too. We are playing it by ear firstly and seeing how it goes.Anytime xx

    ReplyDelete