Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Crafty Christmas!


This year we even beat our normal decoration day, normally we put up the tree on the 1st of December, this year we did it on Advent Sunday which was the 27th of November. It was rather lovely actually as I found all these beautiful handmade decorations that the children and I had made last year in baby steps to Christmas. This year we have put them all on the white tree and they look lush, it is quite sparsely decorated but I quite like that. 

Cordelia decorated the tree in the hallway all by herself, its not quite so sparse but I like it! Last year we had a real tree too but not sure we will bother this year.

 I have also managed to make the children an advent calendar which I am hoping we will use every year, but we'll see. It took me much longer to make than I had anticipated, my advice would be not to watch your favourite film (Moulin Rouge) therefore not having to embroider the same number over and over again doh! Also helps if when realising your mistake the first time you then don't continue to repeat said mistake another 3 times!!! Still it has had some rather lovely compliments so maybe it was worthwhile after all? And as I had all the material apart from ribbon and chocolates it hardly cost me a penny, love being frugal!!

I was also very fortunate to find a Playmobil advent calendar in the charity shops for the grand sun of £1.49! Bargain, the kids have loved opening the different boxes every day and this is the scene so far:


The children have also been a little hama bead crazy the last few days and have made these lovely decorations and added them on to the tree, see what happens when you buy 3 new colours of hama beads :-) I haven't bought any yet but have it on good authority that the hama bead selection at craftmerrily is very good if anyone is interested. 



The girls have also made some lovely handmade gifts but I can't put any photo's up because I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone! Daddy sat with the girls on Sunday and made gift tags from last year's Christmas cards, its such a good idea as we are always recycling here and what better way to not waste cards than turn them into sweet gift tags? Also another way to save money by not buying gift tags, I know they aren't that expensive but at this time of year, every little bit helps. The girls also wrote out Christmas cards for their friends at singing group as yesterday was their last practice before the concert next week :-)) They are both very excited about that and I can't wait to see all their good work coming together. This is the first Christmas concert they have done out of school so its all very exciting.



4 comments:

  1. Love the trees and great to see so much handmade christmas crafts!!
    Good luck for the concert!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, its Naomi with Willow from the Creswell meet :-) Thought I would say hello as I've added you to my google reader though I must tell you I am a rubbish commenter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Naomi,
    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, hope you find some things you like on here x

    ReplyDelete